Monday 13 May 2013

** Review ** ~ The Master Mariner, Wetherspoons

For the past few months I, like many other people, have been watching the development of the new Wetherspoons on New Brighton Promenade. In recent years New Brighton has undergone a transformation and this saw the once was RJ's night club becoming The Master Mariner. The building is part of Union Terrace - a short row of properties, originally lodging houses, that were built for the seaside resort in the 1830's.   
This development has cost nearly £2 million and has created over 70 new jobs. It comes after a multi million pound development of New Brighton with companies such as Morrisons, Home and Bargain and The Hungry Horse opening up along Marine Point. It is a much needed boost for the once was failing economy of New Brighton.
 
But I digress.
 
This particular Wetherspoons opened its doors to the public on Tuesday 23rd April. On Friday 3rd May I went there for lunch with my Mum, Nan and Uncle. By the time I left I was unsure if it was worth it.
 
We arrived around 12.30 pm and managed to get a table in the tastefully decorated dining/family area (I say tastefully because that is the only description I think applies). After 10 minutes we had made our choices and my uncle and I went to the bar to place our order, 15 minutes later our order was taken, it took 15 minutes as there were only 2 staff behind the bar and at least 6 customers all placing food orders. The staff were very pleasant and polite, albeit a little harassed, and once we had our drinks we returned to our table. At this point I must add that there were 2 managers wandering round doing I don't know what.
 
My Nan and Uncle's meals duly arrived followed my by Mums. There was nothing wrong with the first 2 but my Mums roast dinner was missing a yorkshire pudding, not the end of the world I know, when she questioned the staff member serving us she was told they had run out and she had been given an extra roastie. Even with the "extra roastie" the meal looked a bit forlorn. Now it was my turn. The staff member who was serving our table approached and informed us that they had no jacket potato's left and asked if I would like chips or rice with my sirloin steak. Rice???? With steak????. I initially ordered a jacket potato as the chips are not gluten-free and being a coeliac i kind of have to watch what I eat.But, rice with sirloin steak??? that sounds wrong on a lot of levels, so I had the chips but didn't eat many. Now don't get me wrong, some of the meals were fine and my steak was cooked just right, but I was a little annoyed that I couldn't have my menu choice due to them running out.
 
This Wetherspoons had been open just over a week when I visited and they were already running out of food. It was 1.30 pm and they had no yorkshire puddings and no jacket potato's, maybe I should have suggested they popped to Morrisons over the road.
 
My experience overall???
 
The serving staff, behind the bar and on the floor, were pleasant and friendly.
The pub itself was modern and easy on the eye.
The food, well, what I had of the meal I initially ordered was fine, BUT, I wasn't aware that it was even possible to run out of food at lunchtime and this really disappointed me, in fact, it annoyed me a little as I was offered 2 alternatives, 1 was ridiculous and 1 I shouldn't eat.
 
So my advice is this;
Should you decide to visit The Master Mariner for a meal, make sure youv'e got a potato with you, just in case ;)
 
Love and Hugs
Cheryl xxx
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Not had chance to get there yet but i've heard at least 4 bad reviews. Derek Acorah went bananas in there the other week as hia meal came out and his wifes didnt show for a further 20 odd mins (Oz was there to see it all!!) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like him anyway. I wouldn't reccomend you even bother trying it, I don't think I'll be going back to change my opinion if I'm honest xx

      Delete